Economics is a social science that studies all aspects of human behavior and social interaction. The traditional focus of economics is on the study of labor, investment, production, consumption, money, trade, and tax and government expenditure. modern economics has extended its focus to also analyse seemingly non-economic aspects of life such as energy, crime, law, family, health, culture, psychology, and evolution. economics lies at the heart of the modern and dynamic business and economic development given its critical role both in business success and effective policy decision making particularly in the current globalize enironment. hence the increasing demands for specialists with knowledge, expertise in economics and related fields within public and private organization/institutions. therefore the operationalization of the Department of Economics in Makerere University Business School is both timely and appropriate to meet such demand growth
like other departments in MUBS, the core activities of the Department of economics are to; train through lectures, carrying research, publishing and disseminating research output, contribute to economic policy debate, and perform other tasks in all matters relating to curricular and educational polices subject to the approval of the relevant organs in the school
In this context, the department of Economics will offer a range of undergraduate and post graduate degree courses in Economics theory and policy practice application.
To provide undergraduate and graduate students/clients with solid theory and practical training in economics area and promote an active Economics policy Research environment.
To Develop and provide high quality training in economics discipline that is well recognized for excellence in instruction services and delivery to satisfy the need of our constituents and to position MUBS as a leader in Economic theory and applied policy at national level and beyond.
Responsible for serving and teaching Economics in various programmes in MUBS on the needs basis as well as carrying out applied Economics policy research and outreach programmes in the areas of economics development policy and management.
Short terms goals
- Create, equip and operationalize Economics Department
- Teach, train and graduate students in economics discipline on regular basis
- Develop research committees aimed at producing guided and monitored economics policy research output for publication and dissemination to different stakeholders
- Regularly review courses to meet current labor market and stakeholders demand
- Quarterly organize economic forum and community outreach program or need basis.
- Organize pedagogical training for staff every semester to enhance lecturer’s skills.
Long term goals
- Expand and upgrade the department of economics into the faculty in the area o economics for examples through the introduction of new bachelor, masters and PhD programmes in rural and agricultural development
- Strengthen capacity of the economics department through recruitment of new staff and staff development/training process on master and PhD study programmes attained and supported from MUBS and /or elsewhere.
- Expand and strengthen the networks and collaborations with university, research institutions and organization in Uganda and beyond.
- Encourage staff to enroll for professional programmes
- Ensure that economics forum is developed into a self-sustaining fully-fledged Centre.
- Regularly review and customize courses to meet current and future demands of stakeholders
- Achieving this goals will enable the department of Economics realize schools and its mission and vision of developing and providing high quality training in Economics Discipline?
- Train and graduate high quality Economists and economics policy decision maker in the region by offering market/demand driven economic courses
- Create Centre/forum where further learning and discussion can take place.
- Regularly update and develop more programmes in the department
- Train staff on research and other economics policy related activities
- Aim at reasonable publications annually
- Create, promote and strengthen cohesion in the department
Current programmes in the department
The department of Economics offer several bachelors, master’s degree as well as PhD programs
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- Masters of Arts in Economics Policy and Management
- Master of Energy Economics and Governance
- PhD in Energy Economics and Governance