Department of Economics
Economics is a social science that studies all aspects of human behavior and social interaction
The traditional focus of economics is on the study of labor, investment, production, consumption, money, trade, and tax and government expenditure.
In this context, the department of Economics will offer a range of undergraduate and post graduate degree courses in Economics theory and policy practice application.
To provide undergraduate and graduate students/clients with solid theory and practical training in economics area and promote an active Economics policy Research environment.
To Develop and provide high quality training in economics discipline that is well recognized for excellence in instruction services and delivery to satisfy the need of our constituents and to position MUBS as a leader in Economic theory and applied policy at national level and beyond.
Responsible for serving and teaching Economics in various programmes in MUBS on the needs basis as well as carrying out applied Economics policy research and outreach programmes in the areas of economics development policy and management.
Short terms goals
- Create, equip and operationalize Economics Department
- Teach, train and graduate students in economics discipline on regular basis
- Develop research committees aimed at producing guided and monitored economics policy research output for publication and dissemination to different stakeholders
- Regularly review courses to meet current labor market and stakeholders demand
- Quarterly organize economic forum and community outreach program or need basis.
- Organize pedagogical training for staff every semester to enhance lecturer’s skills.
Long term goals
- Expand and upgrade the department of economics into the faculty in the area o economics for examples through the introduction of new bachelor, masters and PhD programmes in rural and agricultural development
- Strengthen capacity of the economics department through recruitment of new staff and staff development/training process on master and PhD study programmes attained and supported from MUBS and /or elsewhere.
- Expand and strengthen the networks and collaborations with university, research institutions and organization in Uganda and beyond.
- Encourage staff to enroll for professional programmes
- Ensure that economics forum is developed into a self-sustaining fully-fledged Centre.
- Regularly review and customize courses to meet current and future demands of stakeholders
- Achieving this goals will enable the department of Economics realize schools and its mission and vision of developing and providing high quality training in Economics Discipline?
- Train and graduate high quality Economists and economics policy decision maker in the region by offering market/demand driven economic courses
- Create Centre/forum where further learning and discussion can take place.
- Regularly update and develop more programmes in the department
- Train staff on research and other economics policy related activities
- Aim at reasonable publications annually
- Create, promote and strengthen cohesion in the department
Current programmes in the department
The department of Economics offer several bachelors, master’s degree as well as PhD programs
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- Masters of Arts in Economics Policy and Management
- Master of Energy Economics and Governance
- PhD in Energy Economics and Governance
- Department of management science
Management science department emerged from the programme of bachelor of commerce offered by the Faculty of commerce.The department was formed to spearhead teaching research method, decision analysis, forecasting, natural science, lean management, scheduling, game theory , applied research, operation research, applied mathematics, statistics engineering etc.The department currently house Bachelor of business Statistics
Though this department in the process of stating
- Master of Science operations research
- Bachelor of Science Management Science.
Mandate of the department
- The department aim at skilling university students in the field of industrial engineering, oil and gas extraction management, data mining, decision analysis forecasting, natural science etc.
- The department is mandated to public awareness, commercial training and professional teaching and stimulating applied research innovation in the field of airlines, manufacturing companies, and service organization
- The department performs the functional role of theory building and modelling in area of economics, industrial and petroleum engineering, physical science, bio statistics business and management and other fields.
To benchmark and the leading department for scientific innovation and practical academic excellence in east Africa and beyond.
To provide commercial training, innovation teaching, transformation learning, applied research and quality service responsive to needs of practitioners in business, community and government agencies at both national and international level
- Customer focus
- Team work
- Applied operation research based department
Skilling university students through innovative teaching, commercial training, transformation learning and research innovations
- Department of Procurement and Logistics Management
- Procurement, Logistics and Transport Department is housed in the Faculty of Economics,Energy and Mngement Science. The department emerged from marketing and it houses three programmes these include;
- Bachelor of Procurement and Supply Chain Management
- Bachelor of Transport and Logistics Management
- Master of Science in Procurement and Supply Chain Management
The department intends to design new programmes such as Master in Transport and Logistics Management
The department in partnership with Planet System has designed the following short certificate courses;
- Fundament of E-procurement
- Application of E-procurement Software using Proc.Net
- E-procurement performance and auditing
- Automated Logistics Management
- Application of Legal Concepts in E-procurement and E-logistics etc.
Mandate of the department
- The department focuses on the basic science education, career options and how to meet the dynamic needs of the society, government agencies and private organization both nationally and internationally
- The department aim at producing university students with knowledge and skills in management of transport, logistics and procurement operations.
- To create jobs of procurement officers, logisticians and transport engineers who can efficiently find the most efficient and sustainable operations in areas of procurement, transport and logistics management.
To be the benchmark and the leading department for scientific innovation and education for the development of sustainable efficient procurement, logistics, supply chain and transport operations in Africa and beyond
To support fundamental research and education that develops scientific knowledge in transport innovations, procurement, logistics and supply chain management to overcome sustainable logistical transport and procurement problems both national and internationally
- Sustainable transport, logistic and procurement operation efficiency and customer focus
- Team work, accountability, integrity and professionalism
- A transport logistic and procurement research based department
A globally competent trainer in transport engineering, logistics, supply chain and procurement science education.
Proposed Department of Energy Science and Technology
Energy efficiency programmes help businesses, manufacturers, nonprofits, schools and local governments reduce energy and improve energy efficiency-resulting in lower energy costs.
Considering the scenario of ever increasing energy needs in our country in particular and at the global level in general, in terms of convectional and non-convectional energy resources, it is realized that in order to foster, promote and sustain scientific research in all spheres of energy, better utilization and conservation of the existing energy sources, inter-disciplinary approach would be the most appropriate option.
Secondly, access to affordable clean energy is indispensable to the economic vitality of the nation, the health of its inhabitants, and the biodiversity of the planet.
The department of Energy Science and Technology aims to develop skills and technical expertise with a focus of sustainable production, conservation and utilization of the existing energy sources through inter-disciplinary approaches.
The mission is to motivate, encourage and develop scientific manpower through innovative academic training and endeavors for national growth and global needs in Energy Science
To foster and promote scientific research in all spheres of energy across pure, applied and educational horizons.
- It will develop an interactive forum across its international affiliates that will enabled new collaboration to blossom in this area, and both new energy framework and technological advances to be achieved.
- FEEMS and DEST will be instrumental in developing new courses and providing information about energy- related curricula for undergraduate and graduate students
- Through seminars, and symposia and virtual media, DEST will also help broader community to understand the complexities of transforming our nation’s energy generation in coming decades.
- To attain a stature of center of excellence with self-reliance in Energy Studies
- To set up partnership in R&D projects with national laboratories in Materials for Energy Devices
- To initiate interactive linkages with leading technological institutions within the country and abroad.
- To foster and strengthen industrial consultancy services
- To support innovative academic programs for the training of scientific personnel for our national and global needs in Science, industry and Education.
Linkage of department to FEEMS and MUBS
DEST was envisioned to become a “one-stop shop” for all energy programs at MUBS
DEST will play several critical roles in and for the university, including, but not limited to:
- Providing an informal forum for researchers to share ideas and interest on Energy through a center that will be called MUBS Energy studies center
- DEST will be critical in developing new, interdisciplinary research and educational programs that cut across traditional school.
- Showcasing MUBS’s wide and deep energy portfolio.
- Developing and coordinating undergraduate and graduate courses in energy across the university.
- Providing seed money to clusters of researchers to develop new, fundable research programs from external agencies.
- Providing support for undergraduate interns to conduct energy-related research during internship time.
Providing information to the public and to public and to local governments and political representatives about sustainable growth and energy production.
The broad research areas includes;
- Biomass energy
- Hybrid energy system
- Energy conservation and efficiency
- Energy-environment interaction
- Energy modeling and planning
- Energy materials
- Energy systems
- Waste to energy
Proposed academic programmes by academic year 2018/19
The department plans to develop and run both undergraduate and graduate programmes in the areas of Energy Science and Technology.
The proposed programmes are;
- Bachelor of Science in Energy Management
- Bachelor of Science in Energy Use and Energy Planning
- Bachelor of Science in Sustainable and Renewable Energy
- Bachelor of Science Energy Engineering
- Bachelor of Oil and Gas Accounting
- Bachelor of Oil and Gas Law
- Bachelor of Oil AND Petroleum Management
- Bachelor of Geology Pipelines for Business
- Master of Science in Energy Technology
- Master of Sustainable Energy
Department future: vision and actions for the next five years:
We envision developing a major center for energy studies at MUBS, of which a core theme will be related to energy production/storage and developing alternative catalysts for energy intensive processes important to agriculture. For example:
- Renewable energy source management i.e. solar electricity
- Research on energy production, pricing and wastage
- Using energy to revamp agriculture
- The politics energy resources
Action for the next 12 months
The efforts above will get the department lift off will begin with
- Submission of a center of excellence grant as well as a multi-investigator proposal to energy studies.
- Hiring academic staff in the area of energy studies
- Proposal and designing of Degree in energy
- Encouraging inter-disciplinary and inter faculty research on energy at MUBS
- Organizing the MUBS Energy Forum and drawing up plans for the MUBS center for Energy studies